Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup

www.pinfoody.com

This is a great recipe, yummy soup. I made a couple of changes to the original recipe.

I did not use 1/2 cup butter, I used 1 1/2 tablespoons instead and only 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
I did not make the roux, I added 2 cups of the cooked soup (let it cool down first and mix it with the flour and butter and cook until it thickens). I also decreased the amount of salt a little bit.

I have no doubt that the original recipe is great but I just wanted to cut on some calories, the result was really good.




2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup diced onions
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 teaspoon dried oregano o 1 tablespoon fresh
1 tablespoon dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup butter
2 cups half and half, warmed (I would only go with 1 1/2 cups though)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Add tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, dried oregano, basil and chicken broth to a large slow-cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.

About 30 minutes before serving, prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add it back into the slow-cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warm half and half, salt and pepper. Add additional basil and oregano if needed. (Spices can get bland on slow-cooker so do not be afraid to always season to taste at the end). Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.

Makes 6 regular servings



No comments:

Post a Comment